Is this project alive?

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Hi,

sorry for the catchy title, but I am wondering what the status of this project is because:

- Questions do not seem to get attention from committers

- The source code wasn't updated for nearly a month (it doesn't look like this project is "stable" already)

- There is no roadmap

- No answers if contributions for supporting more native platforms/compilers are welcome and would be accepted

I really like the goals of Rx (especially the native part) but wonder if it is worth investing in if there is virtually no community support. Just dumping source code on a public code hosting site is not enough IMHO. Again, I don't want to bash around, I am just irritated about this projects governance model.

Thanks,

Sascha

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Edited Dec 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Yeah, it is pretty disappointing, after all the fanfares following the original announcement. 

Let's hope it is just a matter of time and organizing the resources.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Very sorry guys and yes we neglected the project. The transition to Open Source was not trivial. 

The code has been developed for +- 5 years so it is stable, what is missing is cleaning up the build system. We had a lot of dependencies with internal tools so, I have to admin, we under estimated what it takes to get to a clean state where there are no more dependencies with internal tools and so on.

We are making progress and we will update the source code with cleaner solutions that will contain only the configurations that make sense. 

And you will see very soon more people directly involved with the project so you should expect timely answers to your questions/issues in the next few days.

With regard of the roadmap: once we complete the transition to open source we will start a discussion on where we want to take this project next so there will be complete transparency on how Rx will evolve in the future.

So please bear with us for few more days, I'm sure we won't disappoint you guys again!

Claudio

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM

The managed part might be stable, but I cannot say the same thing about Rx++.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM

It looks that Rx++ (along with Ix++) is built by one person. So, to be fair, it is hard to expect a product as evolved as .NET version.

However, we need a solid foundation, even if it offers only the interfaces, while the actual implementation is accepted to be lacking and is expected to change.

Again to be fair, there is a lot that can be built already on what we have now, but it does leave a strong impression that it is still in experimental stage, and we don't know what are the future plans, if any, of the author. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

As Claudio mentions, the .NET version of Rx has been under development for many years, it was first publicly released in November 2009 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2009/11/18/reactive-extensions-for-net-rx.aspx and by now is a mature & stable V2 product.
So you it is natural that you will not see many changes in the source code, which I think is a good thing, and hence it can server as a reference implementation for other implementations to compare & test against.

As for the C++ version, consider the code here as an early seed from which a beautiful tree could grow. We would be absolutely delighted to take pull requests in case you want to help develop that code further. What I would like to see is that the API surface and naming feels natural to a C++ developer. So do not call things Select, SelectMany or Where if there are already establish names for map, bind, and filter in C++, but make sure that semantics of the operators is the same as that of the reference implementation (i.e. you pass the same set of unit tests). This will allow interoperability of say an Rx implementation in C++ on the server with a JavaScript Rx client.

Fork and be merry. Happy Holidays,

@headinthebox

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Thanks Eric! Great to see you on this forum!

One question I (and probably others have) is: where should we go to get the latest and greatest Rx updates and discussion? Has the devlabs Rx project wound down (and codeplex is where all new stuff happens)? Is are the codeplex and devlabs version being developed in parallel? Or is this still undecided?

Rx source code is a great gift in 2012 holiday stockings. Good for hours of happy reading!

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

For general discussions about Rx, I would go to the MSDN forums or StackOverflow.